How to stay safe on a motorcycle – motorcycle safety tips
Staying safe on the road is a worry for all motorcycle riders, the weather, the ‘sorry mate I didn’t see you’, our own riding abilities and the kit we’ve put on to protect us. There are so many variables but there are a few motorcycle safety things from my experience for getting our on the road as safely as possible:
- Stay alert – if your tired or distracted, take a break! You need to be focused
- Up your skills – work on being a better rider, practice skills or get some training such as IAM Roadsmart or BikeSafe courses. Even the top riders can improve with these courses.
- Kit up – your kit has a split second to save you if the worse happens so my advice is always wear it, always. And get the best kit you can afford. Go for protection over ego-styling too…I promise you converse trainers with a foot down won’t look good for long.
- First aid – get some first aid training should you find yourself on an accident scene. Such as the UK Biker Down programme.
- Finally…if it does go wrong, know who to turn to for help. I had a 6-year fight with the driver who hit me and so I’ve since done my research for better legal support should it ever happen again. Write down Guardian Bell and then IF [I hope you don’t] you ever need legal help, that’s who I recommend. Knowing the right people when it goes go wrong helps.
- Bonus tip – get off road! Off road training brings a whole heap of skills and confidence that will 100% keep you more comfortable on the road. Check out places like Desert Rose Racing [use GIRLONABIKE22 for 10% off their training]
For more on what happened to me, while cycling, and the long recovery from the accident please see my accident story here. We know motorcycles have higher risk but they also know they are FUN!
Anything you think I’ve missed? Anyone had any road accidents?
Stay safe out there!
More on the above motorcycle safety mentions:
I hope this helps you motorcycle safety out on the road.
If you’re new to my page – it’s more than just dirt bike riding and racing, I’m on a mission to prove that nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough. See more about my story plus read about my life changing accident, which started it all.
You can find me Vanessa, The Girl On A Bike over on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube, and www.thegirlonabike.com.